Monday 22 December 2014

December 22, 2009

On this day 5 years ago, my life was very very different. 
I was happily dating a super stud, and we were in love. I lived at home with my Dad, I had 2 part time jobs, and I was going into my last semester in University. Matthew and I had only been dating since Septmeber but I knew he was the one, we had talked about getting married, we even went ring shopping (which might I add was way more terrifying than I though it would be!! Haha). It was going to be our first Christmas together, except I was getting on a plane in less than 24 hours with my Dad to visit my family in Montreal for the holidays. I was sad to leave him, since it was my first Christmas ever having a boyfriend, and well that in and of itself was enough to make me sad. But I was also happy to go see my family in Montreal as it had been a number of years since I'd seen them. 

So a few days before Matthew had the "talk" with my dad...the "can I marry your daughter" talk. I was just as nervous as he was because I knew my dad wasn't big on marriage, and we hadn't been dating long. at. all. But it went good and he gave Matthew the go ahead, well he technically said " he didn't need his permission" so Matthew was confused for a large portion of the conversation, but in the end it was clear that it was okay to ask me to marry him. Ahhh!!! It was so nerve racking. 

So back to the 22nd, I was eye high in dirty clothes and attempting to pack. I think Matthew was helping me clean my room, or something like that. All I really remember is allllll night my Dad kept saying "so are you engaged yet?" " you know he better ask you soon, because we leave tomorrow", I kept replying "no, we aren't engaged yet, we will be when he asks". I knew Matthew wasn't going to ask me before I left for Montreal because a week earlier he said the ring was going to come in while I was away. Anyway, at around 10:30pm we decided to go for a walk, I remember thinking in my head, maybe he should just ask me so my Dad stops pestering us. (But how romantic is that, "can you please just pop the question already?!") so off on our walk we went. It was freezing and snowing. We went for a walk down into fish creek. It was so quiet out and the snow was cold and fuzzy as it fell from the sky. I don't remember what we talked about, but I'm sure we talked. We had been walking for about 20 minutes and had gotten to a spot we had been to before when we had first started dating. We walked off the path a bit and up this hill, that had a lot of snow. I remember I was not wearing very warm pants or shoes...my legs were numb and my toes were cold. I thought " why are we walking up here, I get it, it's cute, but why---I'm so cold!" But I went along with it because I was in love. So we got about half way up and Matthew put our gloves down in the snow for me to sit on, awe how sweet!! So I sat down and happily did not freeze my tushy. Matthew then sat down, with his back towards me sort of. I remember thinking, why is he sitting like that?!. I think Matthew said something to me like "remember when we were here last? Do you know what we talked about", for the life of me I can't remember what I said but I remember thinking " is he about to ask what I think he might ask?!" And before I knew it he turned toward me and was on one knee opening a small box (it was really quite smooth) with a ring inside. All I know is that I starting balling like a baby. Tears were falling from my eyeballs!!! I wish I could say I remember everything Matthew said, but all I remember (even in the moment) is he pronounced my middle name wrong (that's what happens when you hardly know each other lol) and I'm pretty sure he asked me to marry him. So I said yes!! I was so overwhelmed by my thoughts of "this is it!!! This is your moment!! This is the moment you got engaged!!!!" And I was also afraid he was going to drop the ring in the snow, it really impeded on my listening skills. So after I finished crying and said yes--we hugged and kissed and put the ring on my finger. 

Then we walked back home and I don't remember being very cold anymore. I was too busy being excited to be cold!! We got home and my Dad wasn't very surprised that we were engaged, but he was happy for us! I called some of my close girl friends and they came over and then at around midnight Matthew and I celebrated with a big plate of perogies.

It's hard to believe how much my life has changed in 5 years. Matthew and I have grown a lot individually and as a couple. He will always be my one true love. I am just as in love with him as I was 5 years ago, if not more. I'm so grateful he chose me, and asked me to be his companion forEVER!! I know that people spend their life searching for love, so I am going to cherish and hold on to the love that Matthew and I have, it's special and it's ours. 

True love exists, I believe in it, I found it--I opened my heart to it and I'm not letting go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment