Sunday 7 July 2013

I finally made something!

I am a HUGE procrastinator. I am REALLY good at it! No matter what it is, work-laundry-crafts-dinner-groceries-doing things I know I need to do-basically most things. But when it comes to making things--I come up with these 'great' ideas (well I think they are great- and I usually think of them in the middle of the night when I can't sleep) of crafty things, or things for my home, and then I NEVER do them, or I start them and never finish them. 

I went to a few garage sales about a month ago and found some old picture frames for $1 each! Real wood and everything. About 1 or 2 years ago I came across chalkboard paint at Michaels, it was on sale for a buck I think.  I picked some up in the hopes that I would use it. So with these picture frames I bought I thought "I should make a chalkboard out of one of them!!" Then do you know what I did? I ACTUALLY made one. 

I am not trying to show off by any means I just want to remind myself that I can be somewhat crafty and to not procrastinate as much as I do.

I forgot to take before and after photos, but here is what I did:
1. Took the glass out of the frame.
2. Sanded down the wooden frame. So I had a clean surface to paint on .
3. Painted the glass with 1 coat of black Acrylic Paint and 2 coats of Chalkboard paint 
(I just followed the instructions on the bottle, I did a coat of Acrylic paint because I wasn't positive I was going to make a chalkboard in the beginning)
4. Painted the frame. I did 3 coats I believe
5. I wanted the antique-y look so I bought a stain and put it over the painted frame. I basically just brushed it on and wiped it as I went, so I could get the desired look I wanted.(DON'T buy your stain from Michaels as it is SOO much more expensive there, I got mine from Wal-Mart for $8)
6. I assembled the frame.
7. I put 3 hooks on the bottom of the frame and 2 hook things on the top to tie ribbon through so I could hang it.
8. Taadaa- It was DONE!
I think it's pretty cute! (not to toot my own horn!)
I am now currently working on some frame art for above our couch. I want to brighten up the living room. It is not done yet, but here is what I've got so far.

This is the frames before I sanded them

This is us painting them (Thanks Matthew for doing it with me!)

This is them painted. I will be covering the white fabric part on the giant frame with paper or other fabric. I haven't decided yet, really I'm just procrastinating...hahah!
So I hope to get a few more frames and some other pieces to go with these frames. I also plan on staining them as I really liked how it turn out with the chalkboard frame I made. Anyway, that is what I'm currently working on to help me de-stress and decorate my home on a budget.

-Ang

2 comments: