Sunday 27 October 2013

Things I do now that I have 2 kids that I never did when I just had one.

I've realized since having Bentley there are a few things I do now that I never did with Adelade. It also made me realize there are a number of things I said "I would never do when I was a parent"...that I most definitely do now that I'm a parent. Some of these are silly, some not...

1. BEDTIME:
When Adelade was born I was really adamant on getting her into a sleep schedule. The whole newborn phase was really overwhelming for me and she was -thank goodness- an incredible sleeper! I remember how we would never keep her out past her bedtime, which was 7pm. On many occasion we would leave family dinners just so we could be home for 7pm, it was really inconvenient-but we did it. 
NOW...I don't even think Bentley has a 'bedtime', heck the other night we didn't get home until 10pm. I've realized I'd rather have a somewhat of a social life with my family, than none at all.

2. BABIES AT A MOVIE THEATRE:
I always said I would NEVER take my newborn to the movie theatre (before I had kids). I didn't get why people did it. During the summer we took Adelade to her first movie and there was a family there with 5ish kids and a brand NEW baby. In that moment I realized why people take newborns to movies...to feel like a normal person! Just the other day I said to Matthew "we should take Adelade to Monsters University, it's at the cheap theatre tonight" which would be making me a hypocrite twice over as she'd be out past her bedtime and we'd be bring a baby with us too. HA!

3. SOOTHER:
Before Adelade was born I thought "I don't think I'm going to use a soother", I want my baby to be able to 'self sooth'--ohhh me on my! I was SO happy when a friend of mine Stephanie gave me a soother at my baby shower I used it the very next day. I LOVE the soother! I know it's not for every baby, but it has been a lifesaver for me. Adelade really took to a soother, much more than Bentley but either way I'm team soother. Actually Bentley is a bit of a snob when it comes to soothers, he will only take a specific one-the round one, they are called soothies I think. Matthew thinks he looks ridiculous so we tried another one that was really similar. It was AWFUL! Bentley wouldn't suck that thing to save his life! It was double awful because Matthew was out of town working for 2 days and I was without a car. Eventually we got the 'right' soother and life is now complete for Bentley.

4. BREASTFEEDING: 
I always wanted to breastfeed my babies. I was all ready a prepared when I had Adelade. Well ready as you can be. I remember feeling like a cow the first time I attempted to nurse Adelade. It was so weird. Anyway, after a very traumatizing 3 days I realized I didn't have enough milk to feed Adelade. We took a midnight trip to the Shoppers Drug Mart and 2 ounces of formula later Adelade slept like a champ. Her first week of life was spent going to appointments every other day to weigh her to make she was gaining..attempting to pump only to get drops..then by the end of the week after seeing a lactation consultant I was told I was never going to produce enough milk for my daughter and most likely wouldn't for any of my children. It's called 'insufficient glandular tissue'. I was pretty devasted. I remember the comments and looks I would get from other mothers when I would bring out my bottle to feed Adelade. I felt so terrible. It made me realize that we never know what someone is going through, that it is never anyones place to judge another person. 

5. BABY FALLING ASLEEP ON THEIR OWN:
With Adelade I felt it was really important to put her in her crib before she was sleeping so she would know how to fall asleep on her own. Though I still feel this way, I realize now with having a second baby I missed out on A LOT of cuddle time. I don't think I ever had Adelade fall asleep on me on purpose at home...ever. With Bentley I do make an effort to put him in his crib before he falls asleep BUT I also make an effort to cuddle him and if that means he falls asleep on me then so be it. I think what contributed to my obsession with Adelade's sleeping schedule was the postpartum depression I experienced. Her sleeping was one thing I could 'control' (if you can say that). If I could get her to fall asleep, I felt like I was doing something right, it kept me sane.

6. LETTING PEOPLE HOLD MY BABY:
With Adelade I felt like the only time I got to hold her was when she was crying or poopy. I was always letting other people hold her and snuggle her, but the moment she was fussy or made a mess in her diaper she got handed back. So when I was pregnant with Bentley I remember telling Matthew, "if we are out and I want to hold my baby the whole time, I am going to hold my baby the WHOLE time". I find even now I feel weird asking to hold Bentley when someone has been holding him, then I think "umm...you are his MOTHER you don't ask to hold your baby, you just take YOUR baby! I'm a bit silly like that.  Don't get me wrong I love letting people hold Bentley, it is a wonderful feeling holding a baby, he's a great baby to snuggle with and sometimes it is great to bet the break. But with having 2 kids I don't get a lot of time at home to hold Bentley so when I'm out with the 2 of them and Adelade is busy playing I am happy to have some snuggles with my Benty boo!

7. MESSES:
Okay, it is no news to anyone that knows me that I am not the cleanest-or tidiest person. In fact I can be a bit of a slob, I know- I wish I had grown out of it. I truly wish I was a clean organized person-it is just not natural for me. Ever since having kids though, I can't stand having a messy house. This however does not mean I have a clean house, it just means the mess stresses me out. ha! I never thought a mess would stress me out. It's craziness I tell you! My house is literally a sty right now--even though it stresses me out-I'd rather sit on the couch and write this. I totally have my priorities straight..ha!

8. PATIENCE....what is that?!
 I guess one I'd rather not put on the list is that I have the hardest time keeping my cool now that I have 2 kidlets. I often find myself giving 'mommy' a timeout. Adelade brings out the best and worst in me. Thank goodness she still finds me fun to be around, well I'm assuming she finds me fun to be around because I can't even poo on my own!(seriously she cries right outside the door the whole time...its a bit awkward and ridiculous!) I chalk it all up to her loving me so darn much! ha!

There are so many things I've learned since becoming a mother. I have learned that we all parent differently, we all do what we feel is right. I will definitely think twice before I place any judgement on another person, especially other moms. Who knows what happened that morning, or how they slept that night, or anything for that matter. We grow, we change, who's to judge. Not me!

 Here a few pictures to keep you updated on the cuteness of my family!
Bentley just a few weeks old-Adelade is his Best BUD!
This was obviously taken before today as there is a foot of snow on my step now!
Chilling on the couch
They are going to the the best of friends...I hope :)
Bentley meeting his Great Grand-Nanny when he was 5 days old
Adelade meeting 'Benty' for the first time, or maybe it was the second time-those first few days all roll into one big LONG day!
This is what I was doing Sept, 1 2012--putting BLUE in my hair?!?! good thing I got my act together and had another baby! haha!
This is what I was doing September 1, 2013. Hands down having another baby is way better than coloring my hair blue, a WHOLE lot more painful--but worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment